Thursday, July 28, 2011

It's summer, folks

Okay, so Old Florida is supposed to be on my mind at least three times a week.  Those are the blogging rules, but mine took a vacation -- of sorts.  More like, hit the road.  But I still thought of old Florida even on those long, hot days behind the wheel of a car speeding down 95, 16, 75 -- you name it and I was there!

Judging from the comments and followers nobody missed me anyway.  Why do I bother?  It's a cliche but hope springs eternal.  Actually I'm surprised I do this.  I hated diaries in my youth and carried that same hatred over to adulthood when I didn't "journal."  And in many ways what is a blog but a diary turned journal turned blog?  I can't recall feeling any pressure to make use of the diaries that were favorite gifts in my youth, but did get a few, "You don't journal?" comments in adulthood.  Bogs are something else though and come with built-in pressure. 

You don't lose ten years of your life if you don't blog, you add ten years -- or more.  Blogging must be a part of your vocabulary to keep you current.  Once the kids are gone, what else is there to keep you current?  I'll tell you what, there's Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and BLOGGING.  I'll confess that I don't follow a lot of blogs.  Next to hating the chore of keeping a diary, I hate reading most blogs.  Just diaries grown tall.  If I can learn something, find a touch of nostalgia, nudge a memory or find some inspiration, I'll follow that blog, but I don't really care about the achievements of your children or grandchildren.

I don't mean to sound bitter.  It's important to keep up with the times, and I plan to do that even if I rely on the "old" in my Florida reminisces.

Right now I hear the call of the wild.  My new sheltie puppy wants her lunch and could care less about my blog.  We had sheltie puppies even in Old Florida so I'm not too far off base.  We do love this little girl and glad she's home with us in Florida.

No comments:

Post a Comment